Cinefiles data as a testbed, we have researched and tested
approaches to providing online access to copyright–protected
film documentation and have created recommendations and guidelines.
We have combined theory with practice in testing methods to
secure display rights to the materials. This has enabled us
to significantly increase the number of documents we have
permission to freely display in CineFiles.
Our expected outcomes are to:
- Help digital library professionals to improve rights clearance
- Encourage more institutions to tackle digital imaging
projects that include copyright–protected materials.
- Increase copyright holders' cooperation with such digital
- Greatly increase the number of documents freely available
- Provide a valuable and useful film documentation resource
for the public, enabling them to increase their knowledge
of film history.