Bibliography & Exhibition History
Works in MATRIX:
All works lent by the artist unless otherwise noted.
1. Basket with Newspaper Handle, 1982, newspaper, rice paper, 7 1/2 x 7 1/2 x 7 1/2".
2. Pete Rose Basket with Twig Handle, 1982, newspaper, rice paper, twigs, 8 1/2 x 9 x9".
3. Small Monument, 1983, plaited newspaper, rice paper, 9 1/2 7 x 6 1/2".
4. Lettuce Basket, 1984, plaited newspaper, spray lacquer, 6 x 8 x 8".
5. Handgun, 1985, paper, ash splints, heat transfer, 13 1/2 x 6 1/2 x 6 1/2". Lent by Miller/Brown Gallery.
6. Han Basket, 1985 plaited ash splints, rice paper, lacquer, 11 1/2 x 8 x 8".
7. Purple Ash Splints with Newspaper and Cloth, 1985, ash splints, newspaper, cloth, 9 x 11 1/2 x 7 1/2".
8. Indonesian Shrine, 1985, plaited ash splints, heat transfer, 11 x 12 1/4 x 5 1/2".
9. Beirut Monument, 1985, paper, wood, palm, foil, 13 x 9 x 7". Lent by Catherine Cootner, courtesy Miller/Brown Gallery.
10. Plaited Ash Splints with Newspaper Box, 1985-86, ash splints, newspaper, 7 x 9 x 6 1/2".
11. Plaited Ash Splints Box, 1985-86, ash splints, 7 x 7 x 4 1/2".
12. Patchwork of Newspaper and Pliable Wood, 1986, newspaper, pliable wood, staples, 8 1/4 x 12 x 9".
Selected one-person exhibitions:
Museum of Contemporary Crafts, NY; Nordness Gallery, NY; Museum West, S.F.; Oakland Art Gallery, Oakland, CA; Ohio State Univ.., Columbus; Henry Art Gallery, Univ. of Washington, Seattle; Fiberworks Gallery, Berkeley, CA; Univ. of Florida, Gainesville; UC Santa Cruz.
Selected group exhibitions and bibliography about the artist:
Whitney Museum of American Art, NY, High Styles: Twentieth Century Design (catalogue); Detroit Institute of Arts and The Metropolitan Museum of Art, NY, Design in America; The Cranbrook Vision (book); The Museum of Modern Art, NY, The New Classicism; Stedelijk Museum, Amsterdam, Structure in Textiles (catalogue); National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto, The Americas and Japan; Textile Museum, Washington, DC, Fiber Constructions (catalogue); Museum of Contemporary Craft, NY, The Dyer's Art (book); USA Today, Washington, DC, traveling exhibition, The Art Fabric: Mainstream (book); Mus?e des Art Decoratifs, Lausanne, Switzerland, Nouvelle Vannerie (catalogue); Renwick Gallery, Washington, DC, The Object as Poet; Crocker Art Gallery, Sacramento, CA, California Crafts XIV: Living Treasures of California, 1985 (catalogue); Milwaukee Art Museum and University Art Museum, Univ. of Wisconsin, Fiber R/Evoltion (catalogue).
Selected bibliography by the artist:
Baskets as Textile Art (New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1973).
The New Basketry (New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 19976).
The Art of Paisley (New York: Van Nostrand Reinhold, 1980).
The Nature of Basketry (West Chester, PA: Schiffer Publishing Ltd., 1986).
MATRIX is supported in part by grants from the National Endowment for the Arts, a Federal Agency, Mrs. Paul L. Wattis, the T. B. Walker Foundation, and the Alameda County Art Commission's County Supervisors' Art Support Program.